Dear Friends and Family,Thank-you for joining me in my journey with my
hearing loss and walk with the Cochlear Implant. I want to start this blog not
only to keep you posted but also share my journey and how God is working in my
life through this trial. I have been encouraged by others in their journey
through hearing loss and the steps that they have taken with the cochlear
implant. One of my goals through this blog is be an encourager to others as
they may take this journey like myself.Thanks for taking the time to walk
with me in this journey and support me through this time. It is neat seeing how
God is working in my life through this time. I hope you enjoy.

Friday, March 30, 2012

2 Weeks til Activation Day; 3 1/2 week post op

I can't believe that in 2 weeks I get to experience hearing through my frist CI and my right ear for the first time.  I am excited yet nervous in the same way.  For 3 months I will only be using the CI and no left hearing aid, so this will be a journey.  Speech at first may sound very cartoonish to me and peoples voices many sound like disney characters.  Whoo-hoo I will be in disney world.  They told me adjustment take several weeks to months but rather than my hearing worsening thing s will gradually get better.  Even though my activation day is Friday the 13th, I think 13 will be a new lucky number for me.  They don't expect me to get speech right away or detect all sounds but since I lost my hearing pretty quickly and yes I don't remember what things sound like that I may pick up quicker b/c I was not deafen for a long period and that has better success rate.  But they want me to fully use the right ear and hearing through that to adjust.  Let the adventures begin. 
I just hope that this will help settle down the dizziness and imbalance on the right side.  I am still having bouts of vertigo which have been frustrating but feel that they are coming from the left ear mainly.  So I will meet with the doctor again on the 16th after more reprogramming with the CI. I am also beginning therapy to help with my balance but been doing light walking.  I am looking forward to running and biking again for sure and that will come.  Exercise is the way to help strengthen my vestibular system.  It is not my muscle strength that affect my balance but my vestibular system and coordination, so I am having to retrain my brain to coordinate with my body. I am regaining my balance but I force myself in doing the activities but enjoy walking so it is something that I love to do.  I am excited to get all my new toys.  Yay.  It has been bye to my right ear aid and soon hello to my neptune processor.  This is the processor that I can go swimming with and is off the ear, so really looking forward to having something off the ear. 
As exciting this, I have been wanting my mom here with me.  I am so grateful that my Dad will be with me, Mom will be in my spirits. But we all miss her so just continue to pray for my family.
As God has been giving me the strength and peace on this journey, I am so grateful for everyone's support and encouragement through this time.  I just ask for continued prayers as I continue this journey.  Right now with all the uncertainities going on right now, God has been sustaining me through it and really helping me focus on him.  Psalm 121 has been a real big encouragement in relying in him through this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment