Dear Friends and Family,Thank-you for joining me in my journey with my
hearing loss and walk with the Cochlear Implant. I want to start this blog not
only to keep you posted but also share my journey and how God is working in my
life through this trial. I have been encouraged by others in their journey
through hearing loss and the steps that they have taken with the cochlear
implant. One of my goals through this blog is be an encourager to others as
they may take this journey like myself.Thanks for taking the time to walk
with me in this journey and support me through this time. It is neat seeing how
God is working in my life through this time. I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tweaking session/ Mapping 3

It is hard to believe that I have only been using my CI for 11 days now.  Still amazed with things that I am hearing.  Last Friday I went for my third tweaking session and she did some more adjustments and tested my speech discrimmination (basically me understanding what she is say).  It took a couple times of her repeating but I did very well with it, finally getting all the words.  Off to a good start. :) Speech still sounds cartoonish and very squeaky and it is hard to tell mens voices verses women. Men's voices are high pitch so there are times when I am hearing someone talk, I have to chuckle with what it sounds like.  Since I was not born deaf or hard of hearing this is a normal response.  It is a process of retraining the brain to hear.  I am listening to books on tape and just interacting with others.  Still small and large groups are overwhelming and challenging, which is normal too.  Yesterday I went on a walk with a friend and I heard a helicopter, I could detect a sound and my friend pointed it out, but I heard it :). 
One thing I have been noticing is that my right eye and side of the face twitches when I wear the processor, which is an indicator that it is too strong and overstimulating the brain.  I contacted JH and right now my audiologist is out on vacation so I have to wait until she gets back but looks like another trip down before my next appointment the end of May.  I talked with the my doctor's nurse just to make sure it was not something from the surgery itself.  She was surprised that I was talking on the phone and said "you must be doing well and surprise her" until I told her I was "cheating and using a caption call phone"  We both laughed. The phone is the last to come. Mostly we email but she need to ask some more questions.  I have to keep the program to the 1st one and turn it down, yes it makes things difficult but it helps to lessen the twitching.  I don't regret doing this and just keep telling myself it is only going to get better.  I remind myself of Dory from finding Nemo as she said "Just keep on Swimming." 
The song "Lean on Me" as there are times where I do get frustrated. I am learning to be patience and take breaks when I need to.
Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment