Dear Friends and Family,Thank-you for joining me in my journey with my
hearing loss and walk with the Cochlear Implant. I want to start this blog not
only to keep you posted but also share my journey and how God is working in my
life through this trial. I have been encouraged by others in their journey
through hearing loss and the steps that they have taken with the cochlear
implant. One of my goals through this blog is be an encourager to others as
they may take this journey like myself.Thanks for taking the time to walk
with me in this journey and support me through this time. It is neat seeing how
God is working in my life through this time. I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Some "wow" moments

I just continue to be amazed that I can hear out of my right ear finally.  Sounds and voices may not be clear yet or hard to detect what things are but grateful for the gift of hearing.  Yesterday taking a walk, yes i heard various sounds but finally figured that I was actually hearing the birds. I venture further with taking Simba to the groomers and vet yesterday which, I had to stop them several times to slow down and I was up front with them about my hearing.  Let just say Simba was not my best buddy yesterday, and today was very apprehension to go with me but we went for a short walk in the park and he was fine. 
I also went to my CG with my church last night and that was an adventure.  I still have to rely a lot on lip reading and was able make out bits and pieces.  This was a challenge but very motivated with retraining my brain to hear. It was the first large group setting and a bit overwhelming.  I just remind myself that it is only going to get better and have to force my brain to recognize the sounds and speech. I am not using my hearing aid just the CI and this will be for 3-6 months.  I am amused with what people's voices sound like and even myself.  I feel like I sound like a fish underwater.
It feels good to get back into doing things, but still need to take things gradually.  I never knew I would miss cooking so much :)  I am starting to drive some but have certain times I have to refrain from it. Many people ask what things sound like and voices.  It is very cartoonish, like people are talking under water and echoey.  I have to remind people to slow down and face me still. Also that I am not ready to use a regular phone or and IPod yet.  Time will come.  Each time I go for more mapping, my audiologist is slowly working with me with speech recognition without me looking at her and in a quiet setting.  They will soon test me in the hearing both on grasping tones and word recognition.  Patience is the key and Perservance.  It is neat how God is sustaining me through this journey.  The song "All I have is Christ" has me going on this journey.
I think of my mom often and how excited she is in heaven, knowing that she is with me all the way.  The colors I picked out (although I change them, which is awesome) are in rememberance of her. Yes the CI is helping me hear and I do not regret it, there will always be a part of deafness with me and it is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment