Dear Friends and Family,Thank-you for joining me in my journey with my
hearing loss and walk with the Cochlear Implant. I want to start this blog not
only to keep you posted but also share my journey and how God is working in my
life through this trial. I have been encouraged by others in their journey
through hearing loss and the steps that they have taken with the cochlear
implant. One of my goals through this blog is be an encourager to others as
they may take this journey like myself.Thanks for taking the time to walk
with me in this journey and support me through this time. It is neat seeing how
God is working in my life through this time. I hope you enjoy.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Bilateral Halloween surgery and Sandy

Last week was crazy with the events of last week.  Sandy and surgery was enough of the exciting adventures but many more came with it.  The best thing is that I remained at peace with the situation.
Sandy came and we lost power, many things were shut down around us and I was concerned that my surgery was going to be cancelled.  Being hearing impaired and trying to use a cell phone when there is static can be quite intesting making a call to the hospital, but made out and left things in Gods hands.
I went down to my sisters the night before with my Dad and my friend staying with my sister.  I was nice to have a warm house and power there.  We arrive at the surgery center the next morning around 7:45 (my surgery was set for 9:45) and they quickly prepped me for surgery. The start rough with the start of the IV line.  I did not get back to surgery until close to 11 due to the delay of the person before me.  This time they would not let me walk in as I was unsteady on my feet.  Despite the challenges we talked about the storm and it was nice communicating with the staff as last time had to have everything written out for me.  I was kept overnight again with getting the pain managed and letting my stomach settle.  The nursing staff was great with handling my deafness this time around.  I did not eat anything until about 12 the next day.
No the doctors were not dressed in orange or black scrubs and the nurses I think they have to wear blue scrubs.  There was a family though having surgery and that they dressed up.  My surgeron was no vampire, but very gentle and kind with surgery.
I am doing well and in good spirits.  I spent several nights with my Dad b/c I did not have power and glad to spend some time with him.  the recovery has been the same but the difference is I knew what to expect and prepared for it, so things have been more at ease.Still unsteady but better than last. starting therapy next week. anxious to get back to running. It was nice having the company of Simba too, he never left my side.  Simba is such a healing dog.
With all the adjustments and changes, I been having a sense of peace.  God is surrounding me and providing for me in many ways.  And giving me the strength I need each day.
One thing that through Sandy, you really don't realize having electricity for granted when you lose it for several days. 
Surgery done and moving forward to activation and soon back to work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment