Dear Friends and Family,Thank-you for joining me in my journey with my
hearing loss and walk with the Cochlear Implant. I want to start this blog not
only to keep you posted but also share my journey and how God is working in my
life through this trial. I have been encouraged by others in their journey
through hearing loss and the steps that they have taken with the cochlear
implant. One of my goals through this blog is be an encourager to others as
they may take this journey like myself.Thanks for taking the time to walk
with me in this journey and support me through this time. It is neat seeing how
God is working in my life through this time. I hope you enjoy.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Christmas with Bionic Hearing

Last year right before Christmas I received the news that I was offically a candidate for getting a cochlear implant and plans were being made in proceeding.  I kept thinking next year at Christmas I will be able to enjoy the wonderful sound of Christmas.  I knew at that time I would being hearing with one bionic ear but it came to hearing with both ears. 
So many are wondering my experience with hearing bilateral with Cochlear implants.  Here is some highlights of my Christmas adventures:
  • Christmas Music: I started listening to it soon after Thanksgiving. When being activated with the second ear the week after Thanksgiving I tried with that newly activated ear--bad mistake to jump right in, but if you know me I am like curious george in some way have to check it out. Together they sounded better and eventually closer to Christmas it sounded better.  Music still is sounding ackward but getting better and it was a joy listening to Christmas music with both ears
  • December 4: Christmas party with work.  It was great seeing everyone and not only that I just sat back and let everything I was hearing sink in.  I could hear other people talking and the conversation going on.
  • December 16 th: This sunday during church I went with my left processor only to give it some training (new one).  If you ask if I could make out much the answer is no not really, but needed to do it. Afterwards I went to a bunch and had both ears on and was able to make out conversation around the table and I felt more confident in hearing. I went to my first Christmas concert hearing :) I sat in the back and while it was challenging at points with hearing all the words, I was able to hear enough to enjoy it.  Afterwards I was chatting with several people and having conversations one to one in the midst of background noise.  I was amazing myself with the progress as others were too.  Yes I was exhausted but it was worth every penny
  • December 23: I taught Sunday school and was able to make out what the kids were saying most of the time.  It felt good to interact and hear children's voices.
  • December 24: Christmas Eve service.  I went with my family to Blooming Glen's Christmas Eve service.  Again we sat in the back.  This time I found myself able to sing along to the songs hearing the words for the most part.  It just broke my heart being able hear the song "Silent Night" as the candlelighting went on.  I felt as eas interacting with my family afterwards.
  • December 25th:  We traveled down to my sisters in Maryland for the day.  I enjoyed interacting with my niece and nephew and the rest of the family.  It made a difference from interacting at Thanksgiving compared to Christmas, one ear verses two makes a difference. I could hear the conversation and my family speaking to me with little to no repeats. I got some nice gardening tools and more eager to start my garden  
  • December 30:  The Big Christmas challenge with 61 people.  Yes you heard me right. My Dad's family is huge.  I am one of 25 grandchildren.  I was able to have one on one conversations with people with little repeats.  trying to keep us with the conversations around the table was a little hard but made out well. 
  • December 31: Dad and I watch the grandkids as my sister and her husband went out.  It was great interacting with them and able to understand Austin's voice.  Sometimes I give him the nickname mickey as he can sound like that.  yes things on the left still sound a little like hat.  Penny I have made out a couple words with her but a bit more challenging.
With all the dates I have to admit I sound like my Grandpa.  Guess that is a part of the Burkholder in me.
As I am among many changes and transitions right now I am listening to the album Heaven and Earth with mixed singers.  The song "River of Life" is speaking to me in many ways as I continue to walk through these changes.  He is with me all the way.
I continue to be reminded of the quote my mom live by through her cancer and take it as my own through my own journey "Life is not about waiting for a storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."
As I think of Goals for the New Year my main one is Continuing to remain trusting in God through all things.
I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete