Dear Friends and Family,Thank-you for joining me in my journey with my
hearing loss and walk with the Cochlear Implant. I want to start this blog not
only to keep you posted but also share my journey and how God is working in my
life through this trial. I have been encouraged by others in their journey
through hearing loss and the steps that they have taken with the cochlear
implant. One of my goals through this blog is be an encourager to others as
they may take this journey like myself.Thanks for taking the time to walk
with me in this journey and support me through this time. It is neat seeing how
God is working in my life through this time. I hope you enjoy.

Monday, May 21, 2012

THE Post-Activation Hearing Screening

This morning I took the time to really reflect on Psalm 23.  Verses 2-4 really stick out to me right now:
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness...Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me your rod and staff, they comfort me." It helped me remind myself of patience and grace.  I held this with me going into my appointments today.
Today I returned to JH for a mapping session.  My audiologist took me back to the hearing booth to screen my hearing with my CI.  For once I was not nervous and very eager to see what my hearing test looked with the CI. It is neat to see my scores on the higher end than at the bottom of the graph :) My audiologist would have liked them a little higher, but due to all the twitching, it set back the results a little.  But my understanding of speech in quiet was 85% (this was just sentences) compared to my total score of 10%.  My doctor and audiologist are very pleased with the results.  I am excited.  When I first met with my doctor and audiologist communication was not easy, reading lips and writing things down, now I still read lips but less writing things down.  I notice improvements each day.  Sometimes taking steps back and than leaps forward.  Baby steps I have to remind myself of.  It is basically like I am trying to learn a new language.
 Due to the twitching and we played with it today seeing which electrodes were setting it off and different volumes making the twitching worse.  This was a fun game as my audiologist watch my face twitch to the different tones. I am going back to her in June for her to keep an eye on it.  there were some points today it really went.  She told me to email her with even slight changes or problems. 
As I was driving to my appointments it was raining.  I love the sound of rain and to be hearing it was awesome.  Not just the tapping on my windshield but the steadiness of the rain too and it dripping off the roof.  Just these little glimpses each day make me appreciate it all. My audiologist words to me as I left "it is all worth it right with the surgery"  I said "you got it."  No I don't regret it. And the trips to MD are worth it. 
Yesterday when I got down to my sisters, my nephew looked at me "Hockey, you play with me."--pointing to the hockey sticks and ball.  So we played some toddler hockey.  Today he wanted to play again but it was rainy and wet.  I am picking out some words of my nephew, this is a challenge, but determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment